Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Thanks, Thanks A Lot...

Okay, here goes...

My legs are tired. That's all I really have the energy to say, but I'll ramble on since, afterall, that is why blogging was invented. Now, when I say my legs are tired, I don't mean the rest of my body is saying, "Hey stupid legs, get with it. Your friends, the upper-half, want to do stuff. So perk up!" No. My legs have talked the rest of my body into mounting a protest today. Against any physical activity and they have begun their final assualt on my brain. Here it is, barely 8am, and I'm fighting to stay awake and get work done. Usually this doesn't start at least until 9am. They've even tried to talk me into taking the first ride on the elevator at work. I've been here over a year and I've never seen the inside of our Otis. But today, it's been looking pretty good.

You see, I've been commuting to work somewhat frequently using the old 'pedal power'. I live about 3 miles from work now and it just makes sense. Today I was running late and really had to double time it, to get to work on time. And my legs have been mad ever since. So let's take a look at the cause of my pain.

Over the past few years my father has really gotten into the whole biking for exercise culture and even goes to the grocery store and post office via two wheel action. Keep in mind that my parents live in a somewhat suburban area of, what is becoming, a suburb. So we're talking at least 10-15 miles round trip. For a man in his mid-60's with no atheletic ability, I'm impressed. You could say he has inspired me to "get on your bike and ride", as the late Freddy Mercury would say.

Another person who has inspired me to throw my leg over the hulking Trek beast is Jill Homer. The 'flatlander' Alaskan who spends more time on her bike than off. She routinely knocks off 30 miles on her bike then rides it to work and back. Remember that Alaska is under a blanket of snow for 8 or 9 months out of the year and then re-read that last sentence (but remember to skip this one, or you'll just be stuck here like my Black Crows CD in my first car's CD player). Anyway, she makes my 6 mile roundtrip commute (8 if I go to the gym) look like a trip to the bathroom. Nonetheless, she does inspire me.

I won't go into gas prices and trying to save money, because I'm tire of talking about it myself. And since I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that's going to read this, I don't want to 'hear' it either. Anyway, I just wanted to thank these two people for my lack of motivation and my sore legs today.

No comments: