Friday, January 25, 2008

Big Heading To Wyoming

Okay, here goes...


So, as I mentioned in yesterday's entry, Aubry and I went to see Big Head Todd and The Monsters last night. So after getting off work and doing a few last minute things in preperation for our trip, we headed on down to what has become a bit of a home-away-from-home for me lately; The NorVa. Still the only place where I've caught a live act since moving to Virginia.


After braving the traffic and crowds brought into town by the Reba McIntyre and Kelly Clarkson concert a block away, we made it to The NorVa. I was a little nervous about what kind of 'seat' we were going to get, since doors opened at 7 and we weren't able to get there until after 7:15. Luckily, it wasn't a problem.


The opening band was The Ben Phelps Project. Not a bad little quintet out of the Hampton Roads area. Good vocals and the potential of a good lead guitarist. The only thing I'll take away from them is that even though their drummer is talented, he was too much for the band. I realize the drummer shouldn't always be pushed to the back and told to keep the beat, but when the band is focused on songwriting and guitar, he should not try to be center stage all the time.


After a somewhat brief intermission, the stage was set for the main event. The band came out to, suprisingly, little fanfare and jumped right into a blazing set. Rapidfire guitar changes were the only breaks in a very solid hour and a half set consisting of over twenty songs. They were pushing the new stuff but stayed true, as any good band should, to what got them here and what got the fans in the door. I caught myself several times in a bit of disbelief that I was seeing a band that had been a part of my life for so long.


Although I had never seen them live before last night, I had an idea of what Todd Park Mohr would be like on stage. There's a sound or a way of playing guitar and signing that has always come across to me in recordings, that makes it sound so effortless and smooth. It doesn't happen often but Johnny Cash had it, Jimi Hendrix had it, Stevie Ray Vaughan had it, Roy Orbison had it and Todd Park Mohr has it. I know that Big Head Todd has never acheived the widespread acclaim that these others have but I think that may be intentional. I also know that when Mohr would grin and step back to the mic after ripping through a solo the wallpaper in the place would begin to peel off and the rock n' roll would be dripping from the ceiling.


I think I've said enough.

No comments: