Friday, August 29, 2008

Me and Obama

Okay, here goes...

Me and Obama. We're like this, you know?

I, like many of you tuned in to watch history last night. From the "Obama Bio" to his final "God bless the United States of America" millions were rapt.

Personally I was glad to see and hear a few things in particular. First, I was happy that he told middle America what he had planned. What the specifics of his plan for this country involves. He addressed many of the fears that most fence-sitters seem to be worried about. He met these accusations head on and that shows to me that is how he will meet the challenges that befall a President.

Secondly, I was elated that he didn't beat Dr. King to a pulp. In fact, I think he was the only person yesterday, myself included, to not mention Dr. King. If he had, it would have appeared forced and unreal.

But what did sound real, and made me happier than anything, was the genuine passion that could be heard in his voice as he spoke. From time to time, he did sound like Dr. King, but he never sounded fake and he never sounded like he was reading from a teleprompter.

Finally, and more selfishly, I would like to point out that he too chose the same lines from Dr. King's 1963 speech that I chose to highlight yesterday. Perhaps he is trying to appeal to my demographic; middle-class, white America. Sure he is. Every candidate that has ever tossed their hat into the political ring has tried to appeal to white, middle America. But I think the point he was trying to drive home was about coming together, all races and creeds (like peas and carrots), and moving forward. "...inextricably bound... We cannot walk alone. And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back."

Beautiful, sweet beautiful history.

"The American Promise" - Obama's Complete Acceptance Speech - DNC 2008


No comments: