Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Return From The Tundra

Here goes...

Aubry and I returned from our trip to Minnesota the other night... a little after 2am. The trip back was not very fun. We had spent the night in Chicago visiting with my brother and Steve. That part was great After brunchthe next day, we sped out of town and made it all the way to Ohio before the snowstorm hit. Ohio took about an hour longer than it should have. To borrow a line from Dave Attell, "You know what's fun to do in Cleveland? Pack up and get the fuck out, that's what."

Then I made a mistake of eating a rest stop hamburger (two actually) and felt like a steamy turd for a few hours. I did, however, make a triumphant return just in time to take the wheel for the last hour or so of the snow driving. I almost played bumper cars between two semi-trucks and a construction barrier while driving Aubry's Yaris through several inches of snow. I'm glad she was asleep.

After we hit Pittsburgh, the snow let up. Only to invite the rain in. It dumped biblical amounts of rain on us until we got off the Penna Turnpike... then it turned to sleet. Yippee!!! After an hour of that, it turned back to rain and that stayed with us all the way home.

What a trip! Everyone in Minnesota was great. From the Jacobsen and Miller clans to Earl and Marlene (I think those were their names) to those two custodians at the Mall of America who made my year. I played, and won, almost every board/card game known to man while staying on 4th Street. I drank some really good wine with Aubry's parents and suffered through one really big bottle of not-so-good stuff with them too. The only thing that brings people closer than good wine, is bad wine. Write that down.

Now I'm back at work... my second day. I came to the realization that Christmas is next week and I really haven't gotten anything for my father yet. I guess I'll be standing shoulder to shoulder with all the rest of the poor excuses for loving offspring at the last minute trying to find that perfect gift. Good times.

Anyway, my parents are coming into town tomorrow and bringing my dog. Woo hoo!!! I haven't seen her in over a month. I can't wait for doggie kisses.

Stay tuned... my parents are always good for a laugh.

Happy Christmahanukwanzakkah everybody.

No comments: