Thursday, December 20, 2007

Stale Beer And Toshiba Laptops


Well, here goes...



As you may know, I left work early yesterday because I have been sick the last few days. I went home and slept for bit then got up to run some errands. To the mall!!! I finished up my Christmas shopping with a couple books for Dad, ate lunch and then ran to the dollar store for wrapping paper and stocking stuffers. On the way home, I picked up the picture I had made for Dad of Allen's Hamburgers of Athens, Georgia. He used to hang out there when he was in college. There's a great story of him sleeping under the pool table one night. Anyway, I blew up a picture of the front of the building to 8x10 and put it in a nice frame for him to hang in his home office.



The only thing remaining to do at that time was to get everything wrapped and straighten up the house. And after watching a movie on NetFlix and generally slacking off for a few hours, I got everything done with about 15 minutes to spare. Aubry and I had run all over town trying to get some rubber cement to mount an 'Artist's story' and a picture to the back of an elephant painting my parents had done while up here several months ago; I had it framed for them. Then they called and said to order some food and get some beer. Which meant we had to go to the wine story to get good beer.



After all of that, we had time to sit on the front porch and drink about 1/2 a beer before the arrived. That's when the drama unfolded. First my parents arrived. I could see my dog, Ollie, standing up in the back seat of Dad's truck all the way down the block. Apparently, she knew where she was about 30 minutes away from the house. She hasn't been here in a month and a half. It was a joyous reuinion.



Anyway, after getting everything into the house, we settled down to wait for the food to arrive and have a drink. My dog was so excited about being home, she was running around everywhere and wagging her larger-than-average tail all over the place. She then proceded to knock over my beer all over the keyboard of my running laptop. There was a collective, "oh shit!", from everyone as the screen went black. We unplugged it, removed the battery and turned it upside down for a few hours.



It turned right on late in the night and I ran to back everything up. So far, everything is working OK. Some of the keys are sticking and it stinks of Aventinus doppelbock (see the bottom of the page). It could be a lot worse.



That being said... Dad and I stayed up until after midnight catching up and after that, I feel much better today.



Peace out.

No comments: